Excellent opportunity to gain hands-on leadership experience working with the Brooklyn Park Farmers Market and community-wide Special Events to facilitate the on-site operations. We cultivate health, by connecting the community to nutritious food through the weekly market. The Summer Recreation Lead – Brooklyn Park Farmers Market/Special Events will do work that serves to improve food security, individual and family health, and the overall local food economy by connecting local producers to the community and the community to nourishing foods. Great opportunity to work with local, state, and federal nutrition assistance programs (SNAP/EBT, Market Bucks) to make our markets financially accessible to customers of all income levels. The Summer Recreation Lead – Farmers Market/Special Events will coordinate with the Recreation Specialist and Recreation Supervisor to develop relationships with market and event vendors and have a direct impact on the health and wellness of the Brooklyn Park Community. Join us in Celebrating the diverse community in Brooklyn Park!Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Application Deadline: This job posting will be open until filled. If you have interest in this position, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible upon seeing the announcement as the vacancy may close without notice.
Minimum and Desired Qualifications
- Manage on-site market operations each Wednesday, July 6 - October 12.
- Uphold market standards for vendors and customers (including food safety, rules and regulations, etc.).
- Communicate respectfully and transparently with market and event customers and vendors, and resolve any disputes that arise between and among market constituents.
- Set up/take down of Brooklyn Parks Farmer’s Market and Special Events, including moving barricades, tents, tables, chairs, sound equipment, movie screen, and other event equipment
- Operate informational booth for customer questions, nutrition incentive materials, POS system at Farmers Market and Special Events
- Maintain accurate financial procedures (transactions, cash flow, fee collection, sales, EBT terminal).
- Assists in connecting underserved populations including communities of color, seniors, and families with young children to the Farmers Market and Special Events through culturally relevant marketing channels.
- Support community events on evenings and weekends
- Evaluate and assess effectiveness of programs and events
- Work with the Recreation Specialist to review, create, and/or update the market systems to promote sustainability for the market.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment; distribute supplies and equipment; assist with ordering supplies and equipment for Brooklyn Park Farmers Market and special events.
- Assist in generation of weekly social media content
- Ensure a safe and healthy work environment and conduct business in a safe manner.
- Attend staff meetings and coordinate work schedules with other staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience delivering recreational activities or special events.
Current driver's license by the start date
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees.
- Facilitate recreational programs and activities, creating an environment that is inclusive and supportive to all participants, addressing both individual and community needs.
- Drive or learn to drive a truck and trailer (training provided during orientation).
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with peers, participants, and the general public.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to write basic reports and office correspondence.
- Fluent in English; both spoken and written
- Independently solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets or exceeds customer expectation and satisfaction
- Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Embrace and engage in cultural shift toward Continuous Improvement.
- 6 months or more experience delivering recreational activities or special events.
- One year of college coursework in public health, recreation, event planning, human/services, community social work, volunteer management
- One year of work experience in recreation, event planning, human services, community social work, volunteer management or public health.
- CPR, AED & First aid certification
- One year of marketing experience, including social media platforms in a business setting.
- Previous experience working with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, Hmong, Russian, Somali, Laotian or Vietnamese language(s)