Imagine yourself here. Be a part of something great at Science Museum of Minnesota.
The Science Museum of Minnesota knows that diversity generates better ideas, inspires creativity, and is essential to building a positive workplace. As an employer of choice, we hire and retain employees by valuing differences, creating a collaborative work environment, and providing promotional and career development opportunities. Read our Statement on Equity and Inclusion.
Join our Summer Camp STEM Education team as a Program Counselor. The Program Counselor leads an assigned group of youth participants ages 6-12 in Science Museum summer camps, classes, and other educational events. The Program Counselor is responsible for behavior management, encouraging interest and participation, creating an efficient and positive learning environment for program participants, leading group activities, attending to customer needs, and acting as a role model for appropriate behavior and safety. Work will be done independently and in collaboration with other team members and under the direction of a Program Team Lead. This position will be assigned to work both onsite at the Science Museum in Saint Paul and online as a virtual camp support
Learn more about Summer Camps here.
This is a seasonal position that runs through the fall of 2021.
Work Environment: Temporarily remote work from home to be assessed every 3 months in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, office setting onsite. Work both indoors in physical and virtual classroom settings and outdoors in all climate types, surrounded by more than 60+ children. Hours of work – ability to work Monday through Friday during summer. Evenings and/or weekends occasionally during fall and spring.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist Instructors and participants with science, technology, engineering, and math-related educational activities and group interactions during virtual and in-person camps and events.
- Encourage participants' engagement and enthusiasm in program activities by modeling behavior expectations and helping create a positive learning environment.
- Use appropriate strategies when working with learners with special needs and from diverse backgrounds.
- Organize, lead, and supervise large group icebreakers and recreational activities that build a sense of community among assigned groups of program participants.
- Monitor program participants to ensure they are actively engaged and grasping curricular concepts, proactively assist Instructors and participants with activities, and recommend Instructor or Team Lead intervention when appropriate.
- Attend to the emotional needs of program participants, engage in active listening, demonstrate empathy, help if you are able, and communicate any issues to the Instructor or Program Team Lead.
- Contribute to the general upkeep of the program space by participating in set up and organization of program space and classrooms.
- Organize and distribute educational materials and supplies and assist Program Team Lead with logistics and paperwork as needed.
- Provide excellent customer service and contribute to a positive and welcoming environment, including welcoming the participants/customers, responding to special requests, providing general museum information, and solving problems.
- Alert Instructors, Program Team Lead, and/or Museum Public Safety of any health, accident, or discipline problems or questions. Work in collaboration with Museum Public Safety and camp staff to complete any necessary reports.
- Understand and keep current on all safety and emergency procedures through established annual training. Follow and model all policies and procedures to ensure all safety precautions are adhered to; encourage program participants to do the same.
- Work cooperatively, professionally, and respectfully in the team environment. Display enthusiasm for department programs and get participants excited about program content by encouraging positive interactions through the duration of the program and promoting positive morale and camaraderie.
- Broaden and strengthen knowledge and application of behavior management techniques and group leadership dynamics within the goals of the programs. Build upon a solid foundation of behavior management techniques and group leadership dynamics within the goals of the programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Experience providing one-to-one childcare and/or leading groups of children (preschool, school age, or young adult).
- Documented ability to contribute in educational team settings.
- Documented experience working with stakeholders or parents and providing excellent customer services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of age-appropriate behavior management for preschool and school-age audiences.
- Demonstrated aptitude for creativity, curiosity, passion, enthusiasm, integrity, and a strong professional ethic.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and fluently and convey information effectively.
- In process of obtaining a high school diploma/GED.
- Ability to work in Google suites.
- Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
- Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds.
- Fluency in language(s) other than English valued (Hmong, Somali, Spanish).
Hiring Pay Range: $12.50 USD or more per hour / Depending on Qualifications.
The job duties describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list. For some positions, detailed procedures may be outlined in supplemental documents.
We exist to turn on the science and inspire learning, inform policy and improve lives. We envision a world in which all people have the power to use science to make lives better. We value science as an essential literacy and strive for inclusion inside and out so that our museum and our people reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community. It is the museum’s policy and practice to hire and promote qualified job seekers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We offer benefit packages for full-time and part-time employees.