Interfaith Outreach is looking for highly qualified candidates for our Staff Accountant position (full-time, benefit eligible). The accountant position is a hands-on role that will work with the Director of Finance on all financial aspects of the organization. The variety of work means that no two days are alike. There are growth and development opportunities for the right candidate through special project leadership including: automation of credit card receipts and approvals, transitioning to paperless Accounts Payables and more!
The Interfaith Outreach work environment is client centered, values driven, team oriented, fast paced, diverse and focused on learning and professional development. We have a strong internal culture of collaboration and team support and a deep commitment across staff to mission.
Do you want more than just Debits and Credits in your next Accountant job? Come work where we are making a difference in our community. Interfaith Outreach & Community Partners’ mission is to engage the heart and will of the community to respond to emergency needs and create opportunities for all to thrive. Interfaith Outreach is a human service nonprofit that ignites the power of community to provide urgent and strengthening services in eight Twin Cities western suburbs so families can live their best lives, children can succeed and the entire region can prosper and shine. Serving the west Hennepin communities of Hamel, Long Lake, Medicine Lake, Medina, Minnetonka Beach, Orono, Plymouth and Wayzata since 1979. For more information, visit iocp.org.
Core Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Process all Accounts Payable transactions accurately and on time, including client financial assistance
- File annual 1099’s
- Resale Select accounting support
- Resale Select is our store that sells quality donated items to raise funds for our programs
- Process all bank deposits, including daily sales
- Reconcile monthly Resale Select revenues and calculate/remit sales tax
- Process bank deposits for donations
- Reconcile monthly contributions to the donor database
- Track credit card purchases and ensure that proper documentation and approval are obtained
- Reconcile monthly client assists to the client database
- Prepare all monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist in the month-end close, including general ledger reconciliations to ensure that all transactions have been recorded correctly
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll accurately and timely
- Manage the Time & Attendance system and train new employees on electronic timesheets and PTO tracking
- Assist the Director of Finance with preparation of work papers for annual audit
- Monitor restricted grants
- Maintain fixed asset records and calculate depreciation based on capitalization policies
- Record monthly valuation of in-kind goods and oversee yearend physical inventory
- Maintain accounting records for additional related organizations (Outreach Development Corporation and Endowment) in QuickBooks Online
- Provide backup support for the Director of Finance as needed
- Other accounting duties and analysis as assigned
Other Responsibilities: The responsibilities listed below are considered important and necessary for the position:
- Welcome and support volunteers throughout the organization; acts as a resource for volunteers
- Support Interfaith Outreach’s mission, vision, values and commitment to diversity
- Support and cultivate an internal culture of philanthropy by participating in fundraising efforts to sustain and build the organization
Schedule Requirements: Ability to work onsite up to five days per week during training period. Once training period has been completed ability to work onsite 3-4 days per week.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Associate’s degree in Accounting and 5 years of progressive accounting experience OR Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 2-3 years of accounting experience
- General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive experience with spreadsheets and cloud-based accounting software
- The ability to present financial information to financial and non-financial people.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Enjoys new challenges and learns quickly
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for company business
- Ability to work on-site minimum of 3-4 days per week
- Excitement and willingness to lead and execute automation/technology projects
- Experience with payroll, particularly with the Paychex Flex and Time & Attendance platform
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge application
- Experience with QuickBooks Online
- Nonprofit accounting experience
- Experience processing 1099’s
To be successful as a staff person at Interfaith Outreach, the ideal candidate possesses the following characteristics and traits:
- A deep commitment and passion to Interfaith Outreach’s mission and work
- A generator of new ideas and approaches while honoring the organization’s rich history
- A versatile person who can work successfully in a broad array of organizational settings
- Demonstrated cultural competence with a focus on equity and inclusion
- Highly skilled at communication and collaboration
- Able to work effectively with volunteers
- Strong advocate for people living in poverty and social justice work
- Creative with the ability to think out of the box
- Approachable and a good listener
- An authentic leader who serves as a role model to staff, student interns and fellow colleagues with a transparent approach; ability to earn esteem and confidence of the leadership team
Compensation: $55,000 - $63,000 annually. We offer a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Candidates are considered as submissions arrive. Position open until filled.
Interfaith Outreach values a diverse work environment.
People of color and people from other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interfaith Outreach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.