The Payroll Specialist is a member of the Accounting and HR department whose primary job function is the timely and accurate processing of the bi-weekly payroll for all employees of the YWCA of Minneapolis. The incumbent is the administration of the Payroll and Timekeeping systems. The role will maintain the Payroll database and look for best practices and improvements in the systems. This position maintains all payroll records, processes general ledger entries related to payroll. Reconciles all payroll liability accounts to the general ledger and initiates subsequent adjusting entries.
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely
- Process payroll including manual checks and direct deposit information; reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports
- Act as administrator of the time and attendance system; execute time and attendance processing and interface with payroll
- Maintain outstanding payroll checks and escheat to unclaimed property
- Develop ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed
- Assist other departments, supervisors and employees with payroll related questions
- Maintain and distribute miscellaneous payroll deductions; process garnishment calculations and compliance
- Prepare and upload monthly payroll entries to the general ledger; perform operations related to quarter and year end including preparing and distribution of annual W2 statements. Process quarter close for third party tax filing
- Reconciles all payroll liability accounts to the general ledger and initiates subsequent adjusting entries.
- Prepare annual payroll schedule, communicate with processors and bank to ensure accuracy of pay dates.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum of Associate Degree
- Minimum of two-year experience in payroll processing and working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Proficient at 10-key and in Windows spreadsheet and word processing software environments
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Excellent writing and verbal skills to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to read and comprehend documents such as IRS publications, forms, instruction/procedure manuals.
- Strong mathematical skills that includes but not limited to the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- Ability to work in a team as well as individually.
- Customer service oriented and ability to maintain a good professional relationship with managers and team members.
- Strong problem-solving ability, including ability to productively resolve conflict.
- Ability to work with a variety of cultures, backgrounds and perspectives.
- Four-year Accounting or equivalent degree
- Certified Payroll Processor
- Familiarity with Ascentis payroll and Novatime systems
- Experience writing and using queries
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work on a computer for extended periods of time
ADDITIONAL NOTES: This job description represents the major functions but not intended to be all-inclusive.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package, including Health, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts; Retirement Plan; generous Paid Time Off, FREE YWCA Minneapolis Health & Wellness Membership; reimbursement for Continuing Education and support for Professional Development.
Compensation: The pay range for this position is $19.97 - $24.96 Per Hour (depending on qualifications)
During your application process, it is very important for you to submit the following:
- Cover letter (including salary requirements)
- Three professional references (including contact information)
If you experience any issues with uploading the above material with your application, please email it directly to: HR@YWCAmpls.org