- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or equivalent life experiences
- Driver’s License and access to a safe, reliable and insured vehicle
- Ability to meet documentation expectations
- Must share in Simpson’s values and program philosophy concerning our Anti-Racist Stance
- Minimum of 1-year experience in providing direct social services.
- Experience working, volunteering or interning with low-income families of diverse populations, and people experiencing homelessness.
- Knowledge of self and the ability to share your life’s experiences with others
- Knowledge of mental health, chemical dependency, physical or sexual abuse, emotional abuse, economic abuse, Racism, Poverty, Homelessness,
Essential Mental Functions
The employee, in collaboration with the participant, must determine the needs of the participants and how best to meet these needs. This means, the employee will assess a participant’s situation to be able to identify more fully the needs of the participants ask the participant how they can be supported and then with the partnership of the participant develop and carry out a plan to address the discussed need.
The employee must draw on the ability to empathize, problem solve, and the ability to accept people unconditionally with an openness to new ideas, meet the participant exactly where they are at in life, do not judge or belittle but provide an effective level of support and encouragement, drawing upon your own life’s experiences.
To interpret policies and guidelines, employee must draw on analytical abilities.
The employee must understand and apply knowledge of homelessness, social support systems, identify racism, understand tenant law and support participants to set and reach tangible goals. In home visitation requires the employee to be aware of personal safety before entering the unit, while conducting the home visit and upon departure.
Essential Physical Functions
Employee must be able to hear and speak, in order to communicate with coworkers and participants in person, on the telephone and in writing. Employee must be able to move about the community and public places (such as apartment buildings). Employee must be able to lift 25 pounds on an occasional basis.