To direct and manage assigned divisions of the Parks and Recreation Department including management of fiscal resources for development; operations and maintenance for the parks and recreation system, including golf and arena divisions; labor relations and human resource management services development; marketing, implementation and evaluation of program services; and to perform related duties as assigned.
The current vacancy is in the Arenas and Golf Division of the Parks and Recreation Department. This position is responsible for fiscal management, programming, operations and maintenance of county arena and golf facilities. The eligibility list created by this vacancy may be used to hire other vacancies in the department or County.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e. promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Assist the director as principal assistant in the administration and management of all Parks and Recreation activities, including serving as the acting Director of Parks and Recreation in the director's absence.
- Assist the director in the formulation of goals, objectives, priorities, strategic plans and annual work plans for the department.
- Assist the director in identifying, organizing and implementing departmental activities.
- Act as department representative with government agencies, civic groups, and special interest groups to promote the county's interests in parks and recreation matters.
- Represent the Parks and Recreation Department by serving on countywide committees.
- Perform special assignments as directed, including research and policy analysis related to the Parks and Recreation Department, and make recommendations based on the results of such analysis.
- Plan, direct and manage all operation maintenance and program functions within assigned divisions to ensure high quality recreational facilities and services.
- Depending on assignment, manage the operation and maintenance of golf courses, nature center, ice arenas, parks, beaches, aquatic center, beach and arena concessions, trails and special use facilities, and soil, water, vegetation, and wildlife. Administer contracts with private concessionaires such as the golf professionals, golf course operators and leases, vending and food service providers, skating professionals, and other vendors. Direct the maintenance and repair of parks, all recreation buildings, facilities, equipment, vehicles and grounds. Manage reservation systems for ice arenas, nature center, picnic shelters, pavilions, and special use facilities. Direct the development, marketing and evaluation of programs and services to determine if they are achieving desired goals and objectives. Direct the development, preservation, and restoration of natural resources including soil, water, vegetation, and wildlife. Direct assigned staff in developing work plans, including priorities to assure proper training and effective and efficient utilization of staff and equipment.
- Develop and manage operating and capital budgets for assigned divisions in a manner that ensures effective use of financial resources. Direct the purchase of materials and services in accordance with Ramsey County policies and procedures. Coordinate budget preparation and implementation with Director of Parks and Recreation. Prepare and manage annual operating budget and capital improvement budgets. Participate in the development of plans and specifications for purchase of equipment and capital improvement projects, and act as project manager for projects as assigned. Identify outside funding sources and develop and coordinate grant proposals to advance the goals and objectives of the department. Analyze operating statements and advise on methods to improve efficiency. Work with Finance to monitor and administer the operating and capital improvement budgets.
- In coordination with the department director, administer labor contracts and coordinate human resource management of the department, if applicable.
- Depending on assignment, represent the department as a member of the county negotiating team in collective bargaining. Administer employee performance evaluations for employees within assigned divisions. Represent the department in handling employee grievances pursuant to collective bargaining agreements.
- Plan staffing levels, assist Human Resources Department staff in coordinating examinations, conducting interviews and hiring of permanent and seasonal staff.
- Monitor workers compensation cases and coordinate with QRCs, attorneys and risk management on employee return to work programs. Integrate rules and regulations mandated by OSHA, EPA and Environmental Health to provide a safe work environment and hazard-free recreation facilities. Implement and direct Critical Incident Management Plan, Federal Highway Environmental Protection Agency, Bloodborne Diseases Exposure Control Plan, National Recycling and Emissions Program.
- Depending on assignment, lead the department's Safety Committee; direct the development and implementation of staff training related to safety of employees and customers.
- Direct volunteer programs within assigned divisions to ensure proper utilization and recognition of volunteers consistent with department policies.
- Direct research, marketing, promotions, public relations, and customer service activities within assigned divisions to ensure responsiveness to customers.
- Prepare county board documentation, reports, manuals and other documents as they relate to assigned divisions.